Thursday, May 18, 2006

Shakopee

If you ever get on a jet plane which takes you 35000 feet above the suburbs of Minneapolis and looking through a powerful pair of binoculars u find a guy wearing an off white jerkin casually pedalling through the lush verdant countryside, that would be me.
Shakopee is a beautiful small town with neatly arranged houses (Edward Scissor hand types) and empty roads. I stay on the first level of a town house. My room has a big glass door overlooking green fields and I can see the stars when I sleep. On a typical day (there have been exactly 3 so far) I start out on my new Jaguar at around 7:30 for a half hour ride to my work place (about 4 miles away). My town house mate( a 26 yr American ) thinks i am crazy cause I take the freeway on my bicycle. But I always turn up the volume on my ipod when loud cars whiz past me. Today, after work (or no work) I was pedalling home and when I was close, I saw an innocuous hand written sign post which said "neighbourhood sale". I stopped for a moment and considered the alternative. I had pedalled 3.5 miles and was tired. But of-late I have taken up window shopping as a serious full time hobby (thanks to Target, Kohls , Cub, Rainbow which are a stones throw away) and I was curious what this "neighbour hood sale" could possibly have to offer because I hardly see any people here. I tossed a biased coin in my mind and went on to explore what lay ahead. After a while I saw a huge green playground to my right. There were kids playing soccer and baseball while watchful parents supervised from a distance. I stopped for a moment and enjoyed the sight.Cloudy sky with shafts of sun rays lighting up the roofs beyond the vast grass fields. Should I join them and ask to be allowed to play? But I had to find out what I could buy from the neighborhood sale and so I moved on after a failed attempt to click a snap on my Razr (not cause its not sexy but cause it was getting dark). To my left I could see the sun setting and and dark clouds casting huge shadows on a combination of brown earth and green grass. After a while the big road came to an abrupt end with just miles of fields and trees ahead of me. I t urned back and saw another small sign directing me to my left. I followed the sign through that neighbor hood for sometime. There were occasional signs and again groups of neatly laid cream houses with red roof tops. I pedalled for a long time in the winding roads and finally decided to get back home cause droplets of rain had started to fall. I reached home sometime back.Outside my place, my mexican neighbours kids showed me that smile which is permanently stuck on their chubby faces. I came straight to Joe's comp and started typing this.
And by the way, that neighborhood sale refered to the sale of the neighborhood itself. Most houses were empty.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you forgot to mention about the kutties in shakope.

tnexpress said...

haha no kutties ellaam..just me left to myself..

Venkat Venkat said...

nice description..picturing Shakopee made easy..
do post more often

Karthik M said...

LSR .... impressive narrative . What are you doing in MN now ?